“By optimising the use of the PPM tool, the Bank was able to improve the approval process of timesheets, the self-billing procedures, and the Project and Program Status Reports.”
In this project, we collaborated with the 5th largest bank in Belgium with a net profit of 250 million euros in 2014 and a high level of client appreciation, as shown in their 30+ Net Promoter Score. In 2012, the Bank decided to implement a Project Portfolio Management (PPM) tool to replace the different stand-alone tools such as TenForce, MSProject and MSOffice.
As the Bank implemented this new tool, they wanted to use the PPM tool in a smarter way and improve the quality of the data they can extract.
CA PPM (previously Clarity) is an integrated suite of modules that allows your organisation to seamlessly manage its services, projects, products, people and finances. It gives your executives a real-time view into your organisation’s investments, initiatives and resources, and empowers your managers to perform projects and programs in a controlled and predictable way. Built on top of the core project and portfolio management functionality are solution-specific modules that support the critical processes of IT Governance, New Product Development and Enterprise Program Management.
In the first phase, we focused on the input and data quality of the Project and Portfolio Management related information. Next, we aimed to retrieve as much information as possible from the tool as well as process the improvements. Then, together with the client’s Project Management Office (PMO) team, we identified the areas for improvement. We decided to focus on people, process, and technology:
- People: we aimed to help the Project Managers, Portfolio Managers and PMO use the PPM tool in a more efficient way and to retract the maximum amount of information from the tool
- Process: we clearly defined processes to be up to date and provide accurate and correct data
- Technology: we wanted to maximise the use of the standard (out of the box) functions of the PPM Tool.
Together with the PMO team, BDO Digital could improve the following areas:
- Multiple systems and methods used to process time sheets
- Unavailability of complete & correct data for project planning and budgeting
- Inefficient approval process for timesheets that impacts the billing process
- Clear definition of roles & responsibilities
- New timesheet approval process with procedures & guidelines
- Introduction of KPI’s with targets
- Increased transparency
Self-Billing procedure (Information provided to the supplier of external resources on what can/may be invoiced)
- Long manual and paper intensive procedure to approve invoices of external resources
- Long lead time (2 – 3 months)
- Risk that supplier sends the invoice twice
- Agile and paperless procedure
- Faster and efficient use of available data
- Less resource intensive approval procedure
- Transparent agreement and commitment between bank & supplier
Project and Program Status Reports
- Different formats for Project Status Report (PSR)
- Varying content
- Some Project Managers didn’t deliver a PSR
- Unique and uniform PSR with clear instructions to follow for the Project Managers
- PPM tool is the Single Point of Truth